Song Hia is a Product Specialist at Percolate but previous to his current position he was a community manager for the speaker series at Ignite NYC.
1. What is your community manager “superpower”?
Consuming everything just like Matter-Eater lad. The Ignite NYC Speaker community are pretty prolific creators and staying up to date on their projects and endeavors was really important in building the network.
2. What are sites that you read on daily basis?
Nowadays I try to stay in the stream of Twitter, but recently I find myself gravitating towards email newsletters. I dig Undercurrent’s and Community.is from Sarah Judd Welch among others.
3. What’s a specific campaign that you are proud of?
Guess Watches: One To Watch. It was an international contest to recruit fashion bloggers and I learned a lot from the awesome design, development, and production team that worked on it when I was a digital producer.
4. Which campaign do you wish you did?
The Subservient Chicken. That campaign completely changed my perception about what advertising on the internet could be.
5. What’s your best time-saving shortcut?
Using something like the Eisenhower Matrix and ultimately deciding to:
do something immediately, do it later, decide a specific time to do it, delegating it, or not doing it.
I also like the Datexx Miracle Cube Timer. It’s basically a glorified stopwatch that I got it for my girlfriend, but I end up using it all the time.
6. If you could only use one social channel, which would it be and why?
Speaking from a brand perspective, it would depend on the goals and strategy. For me personally, I cleaned up my news feed by unfollowing a ton of sources and it’s great.
7. What was one surprising thing that you learned from your audience?
How formally educated the Ignite NYC community is. 90% graduated from a 4 year college and 40% has an advanced degree.
8. When I have a creative block I ______________________ for ideas.
Do absolutely anything and everything unrelated (grab a coffee, take a walk, ride my bike, distract other people).
9. If you’re were not doing this job, what would you be doing?
Doing something at the intersection of technology, communication, and culture.
10. In the next 6 months what are we all going to be talking about?
Interview by Taisa Veras, community manager at Speakeasy CM.